The Music Inside

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

It's All Relative -- part 1, The Senior Class (excerpt from chapter 28)

Up to this point, I've provided snippets of the music inside my head. But I know I'm not alone in conjuring up vivid mental pictures when a certain songs rings in the air. I decided to take a little poll of some of my relatives of various ages and life experiences. Some of their thoughts follow:

My spouses songs: "Where the Boys Are" -- Connie Francis. "My mother loved Connie Francis and my younger sister and I would sing along and dance in the living room." "Our House" -- Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. "The second house we bought that had two cats in the yard (in the lyrics), named Emily and Jaws."

My Mom's songs -- Age 89 as of this writing. "Stardust" by Hoagie Carmichael, popular when my Dad was in high school. She also noted "I'm in the Mood for Love" by Frank Sinatra.

My Dad's songs -- he really admired Johnny Cash's "Live At Folsom Prison" LP, particularly the tune "I Walk The Line."

My sister's songs -- "Misty" -- Johnny Mathis. She simply notes "our song" -- shared with her husband. Also "Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In" by the Fifth Dimension as a recollection of watching her young daughter dance.

My brother-in-law's songs -- an interesting, eclectic '50s-'60s list including "She Cried" by the Lettermen ("haunting," he said), "Spinning Wheel" by Blood, Sweat, and Tears, "El Presidente" by Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass.

My sister-in-law's songs -- A huge Beatles fan, it was no surprise when she mentioned "A Hard Day's Night" and "All My Loving" as songs that instantly put her in a good mood.

Next, I needed to take this test another generation deeper....

No comments:

Post a Comment