The Music Inside

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Living With Our Music (excerpt from chapter 26)

In our homes, a comforting meal with good music is a special joy. I once discovered that Bon Appetit Magazine -- experts in fine cuisine -- also relate to food in song. "Food will always be our valentine," according to a piece in their February 2007 issue. The magazine recommended a "venerable collection of songs that celebrate the greatest love of all:" "Savoy Truffle," The Beatles; "White Pepper Ice Cream," Cibo Matto; "Do Fries Go With That Shake?," George Clinton; "Red, Red, Wine," Neil Diamond; "Vegetables," The Beach Boys; "Jambalaya," Hank Williams; and "Beans and Corn Bread," Louis Jordan. To their list I would add Steve Goodman's "Chicken Cordon Blues" and a '60s oldie by Jay & the Techniques called "Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie."

In 1968, a The Ohio Express sang "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy, I got love in my tummy and I feel like a-lovin' you..." In about 1601, Williams Shakespeare wrote in Twelfth Night "If music be the food of love, play on..." Forgive me for quoting a bubblegum pop group and the great bard at the same time, but I couldn't resist. There is a strong correlation between music and food.

My intent in all of this is not to cause you to head for the refrigerator or nearest restaurant. Sorry if I did, because we Americans need to stick to our diets. Maybe it's time to jump on the treadmill to the pounding tune of the Bangles' "Walk Like An Egyptian" or the Romantics' "What I Like About You." Let the energizing music in our heads help us shed the pounds that the music with our food has helped create. Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment